Proper FTP manager required
Astra
2006-02-10 11:38:21 UTC
Hi All

Wondered if you could help.

I've created a web site system that a number of users use on their sites,
but I manage each individual site/system on my ISP's server.

Creating updates to this system was fine when I only had a few users, but
now its starting to become hard work uploading the required files to each
site (I use CuteFTP) so I wondered if you knew of an FTP app that would
allow me to automate the process.

I basically want to put a file or files in a local folder and then instruct
the app to auto-upload these files to the same places, but on each site. If
required, I can create the folder structure locally so that the app goes
through a set of folders locally and uploads them to the same places on the
sites.

Do you know of an app that can automate the process of uploading the same
files to certain directories across multiple FTP sites?

Rgds Robbie
GlowingBlueMist
2006-03-29 00:45:19 UTC
Post by Astra
[...]
You might want to look at the Cobian Backup program at
http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm (Freeware)

Yes it sounds strange to use a "backup program" to send files to remote
servers but it works just fine for this purpose once you get it setup.

With that program you should be able to designate the folders/files on the
remote machines to receive the files from your host machine. It can use FTP
in order to copy existing files/folders from your host computer to the
remote machines, and on a schedule. Using the schedule program you can
update the remote sites say at 04:00 every morning.

Another feature I like is that in the FTP section you can control the
transfer speed so the program does not become a bandwidth hog if your on a
small pipe like I am.

One note worth mentioning, when the program is active, but idle, some
firewall programs, like Zone Alarm, like to report the program as accessing
the internet. Instead what is happening is that some of it's program
modules use the loopback address of 127.0.0.1 to pass data between them.
This address is not routable and data sent to it does not go out to the
internet. The better firewalls are smart enough or have the ability to be
told to ignore the internal loopback address.