How to make a favicon
S.Boardman
2005-04-28 09:23:48 UTC
I looked at my logs a while back and there seemed to be a lot of requests
for this. I have a graphic kindly made by RHH a while back, and I could use
this. So how do I do it? The graphic is on this page:
http://www.glutenfreeholidays.com

Susan
Richard H Huelin
2005-04-28 12:08:33 UTC
Post by S.Boardman
I looked at my logs a while back and there seemed to be a lot of requests
for this. I have a graphic kindly made by RHH a while back, and I could use
http://www.glutenfreeholidays.com
Like most things it is easy when you know how, what you need to do is
create an appropriate 16x16 pixel image. If you wish to resize an
existing larger image, remember that trying to resize a jpg will very
likely degrade it so that it becomes unusable, so first save it in a non
lossey format. With a size as small as 16x16 pixels it is best to keep
the image simple, once you have something you like save it as a bmp.
Now you need to convert it to an .ico format, to do this you need a
program such as Irfanview which can be found here:
http://www.irfanview.net/

It is a free program and has a very small file size, once installed open
the program then open the bmp file you saved, now save it as favicon
making sure to select the save as .ico option. Once that is done simply
upload the favicon.ico file to the www folder, the result will be as the
example on this test page: http://www.huelin.co.uk/
S.Boardman
2005-04-28 14:14:37 UTC
Post by Richard H Huelin
Post by S.Boardman
[...]
That is very helpful, thank you. I cannot see the result on your page
though.
I shall have a play at resizing the image.
Susan
S.Boardman
2005-04-28 15:14:56 UTC
Post by Richard H Huelin
Post by S.Boardman
[...]
Done it - and it looks OK. I did it in Paint, saved as a .bmp, and then
tried just changing the extension, and it worked!
--
Susan